The importance of prepositioning programs to the defense of our nation has been demonstrated numerous times since their inception; highlighted during contingency operations DESERT STORM and IRAQI FREEDOM, but also most visibly, during nearly a dozen other smaller scale contingencies and humanitarian/disaster relief operations. As the hub of the Marine Corps’ prepositioning programs the Marine Corps Support Facility Blount Island (MCSF-BI) serves as the home of Blount Island Command (BICmd) and its worldwide mission supporting Marine expeditionary forces. BICmd’s Marines, Sailors, civilians, and defense contractor partners are proud of our relationship with Marine war fighters, and are singularly dedicated to providing them with the best combat ready equipment and supplies in the world.
BICmd is on the leading edge of logistics initiatives such as Contractor Logistics Support (CLS), use of LEAN/6-Sigma continuous process improvement tools, and is certified in ISO 9001 and 14001. Blount Island offers a variety of advantages to the Department of Defense not readily available at other sites to include:
- Private Slipway with 5 large vessel berths located only 7 nautical miles from the St. Johns river outlet.
- Close proximity to Marine Corps’ logistics center in Albany, GA.
- Access to a large industrial base and Navy support structure in Jacksonville, FL.
- A fully operational facility ~ time tested in war and peace.
- Excellent road and rail network.
- 33+ acres of staging immediately adjacent to the 1000’ pier and maintenance area.
- Overflow staging and maintenance capacity ~ an excellent site for MPS offload and throughput training.
- A highly skilled and efficient work force with unique core competencies relative to maintenance and prepositioning.
- Genuine public and private business community support.